Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help Identify Altec VOTT

  1. #1
    Inactive Member A7's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi People. I picked these up locally. I'm new to the Altec world but not new to the vintage stereo hobby.

    From the research I've been able to do I have come to the conclusion that they are model a7-500-8.

    They have the 802-8D driver coupled to the 511B horn and the 416a woofers.

    Here's a picture of one of them next to my Klipsch Cornwall. Both A-7s are there and hooked up now. I'm astounded by their sound!

    -proud new pappa

    altec

  2. #2
    Inactive Member A7's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I forgot to mention that the crossovers are 801a.

    On the back sides of the cabinets are some numbers and letters that look to have been stamped with black ink. There appears to be a date of "6 75" in the numbers. Would this be the manufacture date?

    PS - How'd I do paying $125 a pair? LOL!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member AL-TEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Auh....Those are mid 70's models of FANTASTIC Altec A7's, and they will blow away your Klipsch Cornwalls, because of the BIG Altec horns on the bass, and the big Altec horn on the treble! forums

    You did GOOD, and I "envy" you for getting these at such a good rate$$.. forums

    However, it sounds like these should be crossed at 500 hz, since they have the 802-D HF driver, and 500hz model 511-B horn. ???...But you have the 800hz cross-overs....which is OK to use with the HF horns and HF drivers you have. I know some "audio/Altec" persons who like these components crossed at 800 hz like yours are. They could cross at a lower freq, if you want them to though, such as 500 hz. It will not make a big difference though, in the BIG ALTEC SOUND that you will HAVE, and now have. forums


    Al-TEC forums

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ayuh, you got a bargin there. The three sheets of plywood to make a pair of cabinets costs almost as much as what you paid for them in total. Enjoy !!

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just curious - it looks like a mix of 16 ohm (416A) and 8 ohm (802-8D) on the same crossover. Can Altec crossovers accommodate multiple impedence drivers?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member A7's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys . I'm really happy with these. The room is probably way to small for them though.

    I imagine they'd sound better in a bigger environment. forums

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Once you get the crossover questions resolved, you might try making an adjustable panel that reduces the front port opening down to around 75 square inches. I think you will find this reduction will improve the low end and is better for a small room.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member A7's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Update ...I picked up a mint harman kardon A300 tube amp yesterday. I believe it's only 13 WPC but I like it! The VOTTS really light up with a nice tube amp!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.